Vegan Desserts Guaranteed to Satisfy Cravings for the Decadent!
People are working harder than ever to maintain a healthy lifestyle, and many of those have made the personal choice to maintain a vegetarian diet (a/k/a “vegan”).
This can be a special challenge for desserts, since most are short on nutrition and laden with meat by-products. However, a healthy vegan dessert can be a delicious way to end a meal. Below are sample recipes for vegan desserts that you will be happy and proud to serve to your most distinguished guests.
These delicious gems are a fun way to end a meal, or just serve as a treat! It is not recommended to make this recipe as a single cake because, unfortunately, it does not rise well. It works perfectly for cupcakes, which are a delight to young and old anyway!
-One Tablespoon of vinegar
-One and one-half cups almond milk
-Two cups of all-purpose flour
-One cup of white, granulated sugar
-Two teaspoons of baking powder
-One-half teaspoon of baking soda
-One-half teaspoon of salt
-One-half cup warmed coconut oil (must be warmed until fully liquid state)
-One and one-fourth teaspoons of vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two twelve-cup cupcake pans, or use purchased paper cups to fill the pans.
2. Measure the vinegar into a two-cup capacity measuring cup. Add almond milk in an amount that is sufficient to make one and one-half cups of the mixture. Allow this mixture to stand until the milk curdles, approximately five minutes.
3. Using a large bowl, add together the flour, the sugarm the baking soda, and the salt. Whisk these ingredients together until well-blended.
4. Using a separate bowl, mix together milk mixture, coconut oil and extract of vanilla.
5. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture only stir until the ingredients are blended. Do not be overly zealous in stirring as this could cause the cupcakes to be less fluffy. Divide the batter evenly by spooning into the cupcake pans.
6. Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the cupcake tops spring back up when lightly touched.
7. Cool on wire rack, frost and enjoy!
This recipe can be altered, using different type of milk (such as soy milk), flavorings and extracts.
Vegan Cheesecake (Makes 6 servings)
This tasty and elegant dessert uses tofu, which contains no animal by-products.
-One, 12-oz. package soft tofu
-One-half cup soy milk
-One-half cup white, granulated sugar
-One tablespoon vanilla extract
-One-fourth cup maple syrup
-One, nine-inch, prepared graham cracker crust
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Using a blending appliance such as a blender or food processor add the tofu, the
soy milk, the sugar, the extract of vanilla, and the maple syrup and blend until smooth. Pour this mixture into the prepared pie crust.
3. Bake the cheesecake in a fully preheated oven for 30 minutes, then remove and allow to cool. When cooled, refrigerate until time to serve.
This makes an elegant presentation when topped with fresh berries and/or drizzled with a sweet berry sauce.
Vegan Chocolate Pudding (four servings)
This yummy pudding will satisfy that craving for something gooey and chocolate, while remaining totally vegan! You may want to double this recipe because it will go quickly!
-Two tablespoons of cornstarch
-One cup of soy milk
-One cup of soy creamer
-One half cup of white, granulated sugar
-Three tablespoons of dry egg replacer
-Three ounces of semisweet chocolate, chopped
-Two teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Place the cornstarch in a medium saucepan and slowly add the soy milk and soy creamer, whisking constantly until the cornstarch has dissolved. Placed over medium heat.
2. While mixture is heating, add sugar slowly, stirring constantly while sugar is being added. Once the sugar has been completely added, allow the mixture to continue to heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture begins to slowly boil. Remove from heat.
3. Using a small bowl, add the egg replacer and add one-fourth cup of the hot sugar/milk mixture, stirring vigorously while adding. Immediately add the contents of this small bowl to the hot mixture, and stir completely. Continue to cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thick, but not boiling. Remove from heat.
4. Add the chocolate to the hot mixture, and allow it to sit for 30 seconds, then slowly whisk the chocolate throughout the mixture until it is smooth and evenly distributed. Allow the mixture to cool for ten to fifteen minutes then add vanilla, stirring to blend thoroughly.
5. Pour into serving dishes and cover each dish. Allow the pudding to cool until it is of room temperature, then refrigerate for at least three hours, or overnight.
6. Serve with non-dairy whipped topping and enjoy!